December's Volunteer of the Month!

We have some amazingly, wonderful selfless volunteers! So selfless, in fact, that many people (no matter how long you've been following us) don't know any of our names! So we decided to start putting a face (and some back-story) to our names. This month's Volunteer of the Month is our beautiful Jenny R! You would not believe how many Jens/ Jennys/ Jennifers we have in our group but each one stands out in their own remarkable way. Read about Jenny R below and see why we love her so! :)






ABOUT YOUR PETS


How many pets do you have and what are their names?
I have 3 pets. Meka-Lab Mix,Callie-GSD/Husky, and Ollie-Cat All Rescues!!!
Meka
Callie

Do you use cute “pet names” or middle names for them?
"Cal-Bell" "Meekmeek" Before my nephew could say Ollie, he would call him Lala.

Come on… Who’s your favorite and why?
I will always have a special place in my heart for all my animals, but especially Callie because she was my first pet since moving out of my parent's house. Brian and I adopted her together and specifically found a place to move that accepts pets.

What is your favorite thing to do with your dogs?
We do a lot of hiking. They love it and get so excited. We also take them on vacation with us every year to Manitoulin Island in Canada. They get to be outside all day and can swim in the lake anytime they want. Callie also does dock diving.

How many fosters have you had so far?
I honestly have no idea. Including the Humane Society and Paws and Prayers, it would be around 60. I do have pictures of every dog we have fostered.

Who was your favorite so far and why?
Maddox without question. She was a sweet boxer mix from Summit that I immediately fell in love with. I begged Brian everyday to let me adopt her. If I had not been pregnant at the time, I think he would have said yes. I even started crying when the people who ended up adopting her just started to fill out the application at Petsmart. I won't even describe how I was when I had to leave their house after dropping her off. Lol
Maddox
What has been your greatest challenge in fostering?
A dog named Val. She was so sweet, but did not trust people very easily. Once she bonded with you, she would protect you till the end. She also was notorious for escaping my house/yard. I have never chased a dog around my neighborhood so much. Being 7-9 months pregnant, that was a lot of fun.

Val

It has also been challenging to balance fostering with a baby and working full-time. My husband and I make it work because rescue is very important to us.


What do you feel has been your greatest accomplishment in fostering?
Fostering the scared, very under socialized dogs that you think are going to take a long time to rehabilitate and find a home for. Once you get them into your home and they start to feel safe, it is amazing how fast they come out of their shell and start acting like a typical dog. A foster home can make a world of difference for a dog.


AND NOW A LITTLE PERSONAL

What made you interested in fostering?
I have always loved animals and always had pets growing up. We always adopted or would keep strays that we were unable to find the owners. At one point I had dogs, cats, hamsters, hermit crabs, snakes, lizards, frogs, gerbils, and turtles. Needless to say, I think I drove my mom slightly crazy. :-) I remember going to the pounds and shelters when I was young and how sad I felt for all of them. I wanted to help get animals out of the pound and into loving homes.

How did you first get involved with Paws and Prayers?
I was at Petsmart and noticed a table set up with Paws and Prayers information on it. I started to talk to the person that was at the table and they gave me more information on fostering. I was fostering with the Humane Society, but puppies were getting to be too difficult with my work schedule.

How long have you been involved in animal rescue?
I would like to say all my life :-) I have been involved with fostering for over 3 years. This is my second year with Paws and Prayers.

What is your life like outside of rescue?
What life?! LOL I really enjoy hanging out at home with my husband, my 5 month old son, and all my animals. I also enjoy hiking, going out with friends and family, and reading books.



Any siblings or significant others we should know about?
My husband, Brian, who helps out a lot with our fosters. I also have a sister, 2 brothers, and a nephew. My nephew is my "test dummy" to see if my foster is good with kids.
Brian with baby Liam
Finish the sentence: The one thing that ALWAYS puts a smile on my face is…
My son, Liam. He makes me smile and laugh multiple times a day. I especially love when he looks at the dogs and "talks"to them. The dogs also make him smile and laugh a lot.



Greatest thing this year has brought you?
I again will have to say my son, Liam. I never could imagine that someone so little could bring so much joy to my life.

So, that is our amazing Jenny R in a nutshell! If you ever see her at an event, make sure to say "hi." She always has a smile on her face and it's one of those contagious ones that can make a bad day go good. Thank you for everything you do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment